FireCore Ignition Wire Installation Instructions
Replacing spark plug wire sets can be a simple job, if you take things one step at a time. Given a basic understanding of mechanical matters, here’s a guide to the proper procedures in changing your wires.
- Spread the new wires out flat and arrange them from the longest to shortest length.
- On distributors using a wire retainer ring, lift off the wire retainer, keeping all wires attached to the retainer. Remove wires one at a time from retainer ring and put them back on the exact distributor tower from which each was removed.
- Remove the longest spark plug wire from the vehicle first. Grasp boot, NOT wire. Twist slightly to break seal, and then pull straight away from the spark plug with a steady even pull.
- Select the longest spark plug wire from the new FireCore 50 TM wire set. Be careful to distinguish the spark plug boot from the distributor nipple.
- Put a small amount of Dielectric grease into the end of each boot.
- Grasp the spark plug boot. Firmly push terminal and boot over spark plug until securely engaged.
- Route the new spark plug wire through the same path as the old wire. All original equipment looms, retainers and heat shields should be re-used unless new components are included in the wire set. ALWAYS ROUTE AND INSTALL THE WIRES SO THEY WILL NOT TOUCH EXHAUST MANIFOLDS, LINKAGES, GEAR BOXES, ETC.
- Push the distributor end of new spark plug wire onto distributor cap until firmly seated. NOTE: If your set has male connections on the distributor &/or coil end of the spark plug wire, you may need to “burp” the boot to ensure there is a positive connection into the cap or coil. To do this, simply pinch the side wall of the boot as you are pushing it into the cap or coil; to release trapped air pressure. This will allow for a proper connection.
- Repeat above steps with each wire, always working with the longest remaining wire. CAUTION: To prevent cross fire, be sure that wires DO NOT run parallel, but run across each other somewhere between the plug and the distributor.
- After all leads are installed, re-check the wire routing. Re-route any wires that come into contact with any linkage or moving engine part or with the exhaust manifold.